Paul writes: 9 tips for effective car sale ads:
Each of these tips have been carefully culled from fine examples of automobile for-sale ads here on Craigslist. Feel free to consult them when writing your own…
1. In your ad title, don’t list the make, or model, or possibly the year of the car you are selling. Buyers don’t necessarily need to know this up front and the intrigue draws them into reading the ad.
2. In the description, omit the color, transmission type, major options, or especially the mileage. If a buyer was interested, she won’t mind taking the time to send you email to find out, and the emotional rapport you’ll subsequently develop will make her more likely to buy your car.
3. Take pictures, because pictures help sell cars. But take them at night.
Or even inside your garage with a small flash. This gives the pictures a bold, unique look, and the effect helps enhance the mystique of your vehicle.
4. WRITE DESCRIPTION ALL CAP FOR EMPHASIS. CLOSE PAY ATTENTION TO GRAMMAR POSITIVE FOR BUYER’S PERCEPTION OF YOU AND YOUR VEHICLE.
5. Clearly state how much you paid for it five years ago new, or used, or how much money you’ve had to put into repairs (but there’s no need to waste space listing the actual work done). This information is critical to helping a prospective buyer to determine its current value.
6. Add many keywords to your ad. Though they may not have anything to do with the car you are selling, they make it more likely to appear in search results. There is some chance that someone desiring an S2000 will instead buy your lowered Civic.
7. There’s no need to mention if the car has been in an accident or has any other title blemish. You will in time find a cash buyer who has never heard of CARFAX.
8. Include phrases such as “my loss is your gain,” “I hate to part with it,” “nicest car around,” or any explanation about why you are selling it that includes your wife. These build empathy with a prospective buyer.
9. Wax rhapsodic about how 125K miles is still young for any car other than a Mercedes.